He was born on December 16, 1955 at Barisal, Bangladesh. He obtained his M. Sc. in Applied Chemistry in 1982 from Dhaka University, M. Phil in Organic Chemistry in 1986 from BUET, Diploma in Synthetic Organic Chemistry in 1990 from TIT, Japan and Ph. D. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry from IACS, Jadavpur University, India in 1999. He has joined the Department of Chemistry, BUET as a Lecturer in 1985. Now he is a Professor. He has 12 publications in international journal and 3 in national journal. His present interest in science includes synthesis of derivatives of uracil, pyrimidine, nucleosides, heterocyclic compound and natural products. Two student obtained M. Phil. degree under his supervision and at present four students are doing research work in the field of synthesis of heterocyclic compounds and derivatives of uracil of biological importance. He has a son and a daughter.
List of Publications:
1. *N. G. Kundu, M. W. Khan and Rupa Mukhopadhyay, “Isoindolinones (Phthalimidines), J.Indian Chem. Soc., (India). 2001, vol 78, pp 671-688.
2. *N. G. Kundu and M. W. Khan, “Palladium-catalysed Heteroannulation with Terminal Alkynes: a highly Regio- and Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-3-Aryl(alkyl)idene isoindolin-1-ones,” Tetrahedron, (UK), 2000, vol 56, pp 4777-4792.
3. M. Mukherjee, S. Matti, M. W. Khan, M. Helliwell and N. G. Kundu, “4-Benzoyl-2-Chloro-6-Phenylpyrimidine”, Acta Cryst. (UK), 1999, vol C55, pp 2186-2188.
4. M. W. Khan and N. G. Kundu,”A highly efficient synthesis of 1-alkylidene-1,3-dihydroisobenzofurans and 3-alkylidene isobezofuran-1(3H)-ones (phthalides) through palladium – copper catalysis using acetylenic carbinols as synthons”, Synlett, (New York), 1999, No. 4, pp 456-458.
5. N. G. Kundu, M. W. Khan and R. Mukhopadhyay, ” Heteroannulation through combined Palladium Catalyst and Friedel-Crafts Rections Strategy: Synthesis of 3-Alkylidene Isoindolin-1-ones”, Tetrahedron, (UK), 1999, vol 55, pp 12361-12376.
6. S. Guha, A. K. Mukherjee, M. W. Khan and N. G. Kundu, (E)-3-Benzoyl methylene-N-methyl isoindolin-1-ones”, Acta Cryst. (UK), 1999, vol C55., pp 818-819.
7. N. G. Kundu, M. W. Khan and J. S. Mahanty, “Palladium-catalyzed heteroannulation with acetylenic carbinols: Synthesis of 3-acylmethyl isoindolin-1-ones”, J. Chem. research(s), 1999, pp 460-461, J. Chem. Research(M), (UK), 1999, pp 1901-1918.
8. N. G. Kundu , M. W. Khan, S. Guha and A. K. Mukherjee, “Two (Z)-3-aryl(alkyl)idene isoindol-1-ones”, Acta Cryst. (UK), 1999, vol C55, pp 239-241.
9. M. W. Khan and N. G. Kundu, “An expeditious synthesis of 4-acyl-2, 6-dioxo-1, 2, 3, 6- tetrahydropyrimidines (6-acyl uracils) and 4-acyl-6-aryl-2-oxo-2, 3-dihydropyrimidines”, J. Chem. Research(s), 1999, pp 20-21, J. Chem. Research (M), (UK), 1999, pp 0301-0318.
10. M. W. Khan, S. Guha, A. K. Mukherjee and N. G. Kundu, ” N-Benzyl-3-benzylidene isoindolin-1-one”, Acta Cryst. (UK), 1998, vol C54, pp 119-120.
11. M. W. Khan and N. G. Kundu, ” A highly regio- and stereoselective synthesis of (Z)-3- aryl(alkyl)idene isoindolin-1-ones via palladium catalyzed annulation of terminal alkynes”, Synlett, (New York), 1997, No. 12, 1435-1437
12. N. G. Kundu and M. W. Khan,” An expeditious synthesis of (Z)-3-alkylidene isoindolin- 1-ones via combined palladium cataysed and Friedel-Crafts reactions”, Tetrahedron Lett., (UK), 1997, vol 38, No 39, pp 6937-6940.
13. M. W. Khan, M. A. Rashid, E. Huq and M. U. Ahmad, ” The non-polar constituents of Sida cordifolia Linn”, J. Bangl. Acad. Sci., (Bangl), 1989, vol 13, pp 55-60.
14. M. U. Ahmad, M. R. Islam, E. Huq, M. W. Khan and S. Gupta, ” Chemical investigation of the aerial parts of Paederia foetida Linn”, J. Bangl. Acad. Sci., (Bangl), 1991, vol 15, pp 19-22.
15. A. H. M. M. Rahman, S. Jamal and W. Khan, “Multistage Carboxymethylation of Jute in Aque