He was born in Kushtia,Bangladesh on 1st June 1952, though his parental home district is Chandpur. He passed his HSC Examination from Jhenidah Cadet College,Jessore receiving 4th place in the combined merit list. Later he went to Moscow on a Government Scholarship in 1973 and received his M.Sc. degree in Chemistry from the People’s Friendship University in 1979 with distinction. He obtained his Ph.D. degree from the above said University in 1985 in the field of Organic chemistry. In 1986 he joined the Department of Chemistry, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology(BUET) as a Lecturer. He became Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor in 1988,1996 and 2001 respectively. His field of research includes Organic Synthesis, Plant Chemistry. He has supervised 3 M.Phil. students and has more than 10 (ten) published papers to his credit. He takes keen interest in the field of Environmental Chemistry also. Besides, he is actively involved in the different administrative areas of the varsity and is currently holding the post of the provost of one of the halls of BUET. Dr. Islam is married to a physician(Gyaenocologist) and has a daughter graduated from Architecture in BUET. His personal interests include Reading, Music and Current Affairs.
1. Nazrul Islam et al, “Nitro and Amino-substituted 10,10-dimethyl-10-sila-2-azantron, “chemiya geterotsiklecheskhich Soedineniya(CGS), No. 11,p-1528,1985.
2. Nazrul Islam, “synthesis on the basis of 10,10-dimethyl-10-sila-2-azaantron”, Oriental Journal of Chemistry, Vol.1592),257-259,1999.
3. Nazrul Islam and syeda Anjumanara Begum, “Synthesis of Substituted 1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyrido[3,4-C] coumarins” .J. Bangladesh Academy of sciences ,Vol-23(2),193-198,1999.
4. Nazrul Islam et al, “Mass Spectrometric Analysis of 1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyrido[3,4-C] and 1,2,3,4-tetrahydrobenzo[h] pyrido[3,4-C] Coumarin”.J. Bangladesh Chem. Soc. Vol-12(2),221-224,1999.
5. Nazrul Islam, “synthesis on the basis of 9-Phenacyliden-10-sila-2-azanthracene,” Proceedings of The international Conference on chemistry” Indian Chemical Society, Calcutta,1999.